Granite Head - Ragnar - CIM Training week 1

Johnny Cash Bridge, Folsom CA

This is the first week of my Training Plan Mashup.  There are 19 days until my first event in this series, Granite Head Trails and Ales.  That race is 11 trail miles up and down the western shore of Folsom Lake along Granite Bay's entrance with a steep but short climb up and over Mooney Ridge at the end.

I'm going with the idea that a solid base will carry me through the trail race and continue to keep me on track for surviving Ragnar.  The biggest unknown for me is the effect of running consecutive, yet separate, runs over the course of a short time period.  My longest distance ever run at a time has been a half marathon.  For Ragnar, I'll be totaling 20 miles in 36 hours.

The Tamoxifen I continue to take (it has been prescribed for me for the next 10 years to keep any lingering breast cancer cells at bay) is still causing me some grief.  I'm more sensitive to caffeine and alcohol.  I sleep a lot less because of the hot flashes I get throughout the night.  My recovery time is drastically slower.  I have continual swelling in my right hand that physical therapy hasn't made a bit of progress with. 

Really, these are the issues that are swirling in the back of my mind.  At the same time, I stubbornly refuse to concede ground to the latent effects of having gone through breast cancer treatment.  The chemotherapy drugs are largely gone from my system, my hair is growing back and is crazy thick (curls?!), my implants are settling in and the scars are fading.  With all the progress, I choose not to focus on the parts that are taking their sweet time fading away.

So, progress report from last week's training:  I ran Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday!  That's a lot of consecutive days compared to my usual every-other-day style.  During the week, I had a couple slow runs (10:30-11:30pace), a speed day (8:22 miles - woot!), and a long day (10 miler).  Overall, the body held up well.  

Stats to watch:
22.92 miles for the week
316 miles in 2018 so far
19 days to Granite Head
39 days to Ragnar Napa
68 days to California International Marathon 1/2 relay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Report - Granite Head Trails & Ales

Ragnar Napa is Ten Days Away!

Chanoko Race Report March 2019